Capitular and Archbishopric Archives
The Archbishopric of Zagreb signed a contract in 1914 with the Royal Croatian-Slavonian-Dalmatian Government concerning the storage of archives of the Metropolitan capitular of Zagreb into the Royal terrestrial archives. The contract was being renewed every thirty years. Finally in 1996 the contract, valid today, was signed and by this signature the Archbishopric of Zagreb has given in deposit to the Croatian state archives its archives (archives of The Archbishopric of Zagreb 1134-1945; Capitulary archives of Zagreb 1181-1945; archives of capitular of Čazma 1232-1945 and archives of Prebendar’s assembly of Zagreb 1777-1945) and its library material (Metropolitan library). Within the Croatian State Archives these mentioned materials are, in fact, a separate section - the deposit of the Archbishopric of Zagreb. Apart from the materials previously mentioned, inside the premises on Kaptol 27, there are the archives of the auxiliary Spiritual table in Požega, the archives of the Diocesan museum, whom the valuable collection of construction plans belongs to, the archives of various Catholic associations and inheritances of single individuals.
Archives of the Archbishopric of Zagreb
The Archiepiscopal archive was developed through the activity of the Archbishopric of Zagreb from her establishment in 1094 till today. This material is a valuable source for research of church administration, the position of the Archbishopric of Zagreb within the Church, its historical boundaries, political role of the archbishop, rural economy administration of bishop's properties and cultural – scientific activities of individual bishops.
The most significant systematizing of Archives was taken for Bishop M. Vrhovac (1787 – 1827). It was M.J. Kovačić and his son who splitted the Archives into the serials of 10 subjects: privileges, testaments, tithes, records of rural economy, judicial records, ecclesiastically –political records, records of the church administration, the foundational documents and documents of the expropriation. The Kovačićs had also arranged the correspondence of the Zagrebian bishops (1611 – 1815), which continuation is formed by presidential records, that Bishop A. Alagović (1829 – 1837) started creating. The important segment of the archbishopric archives are archidiaconal reports about religious, economical, political and moral circumstances in individual parishes from 1615 till our days (published in: The canon visitations of the Archbishopric of Zagreb 1615 – 1913. Review, Zagreb: Croatian archive, 1989.) The archival group Spiritual table, which was not systematized by the Kovačićs, encloses records of administrating the Archbishopric from 1748 till today. In collection of various protocols the most valuable are the codices of privileges of the bishopric of Zagreb and the monastery of Mother of God in Topusko from the middle of the 14th century, the protocols of in vicar's own hand written oaths, five volumes of Eugen Kvaternik's journal and etc.
Capitular archives of Zagreb
The Zagreb Chapter (Kaptol), established when the Bishopric of Zagreb was founded, as the coresponsible carrier of the administration of the bishopric alongside with the bishop, it has developed during the centuries an extensive activity in ecclestiastical, public, rural economical and other areas. As an institution it belongs in order of the oldest and most important on our ground. The Statutes of Zagreb Chapter (Kaptol) from 1334, as well as Historia Salonitana by Thomas Spalatensis Archdeacon the most significant historical work in Croatia, both testify of its extended activity in 14th century.
The Zagreb Chapter (Kaptol) had vast estates, so the records related to its' administration were important for econimical history. It also arranged a bank of its own kind, emerged mainly, from his members' inheritances, they are, so called, Devouted foundations. Namely, the members of the Zagreb Chapter (Kaptol) were testamently leaving to the Zagreb Chapter (Kaptol), their principals and interrests that were meant for schooling of youth, building churches, helping the poor…etc. In time, these foundation have gained a huge reputation, so the Parliament also entrusted the management of the state money to the Zagreb Chapter (Kaptol)
From 13th century the Zagreb Chapter (Kaptol) had a role
of a credible place (locus credibilis) in political life. The first known
such record comes from the year 1229.
Archives of the Cathedral contains records about
all of the mantioned activities, that were kept for centuries in Cathedral's
sacristy next to the most precious things of the treasury.
Archives of the Chapter of Čazma
The Chapter of Čazma was founded in 1232. by the Zagrebian bishop Stjepan II. As a difference to the Zagreb Chapter (Kaptol) which was established next to the cathedral, the Chapter of Čazma was instituted only as an Assembly Chapter, and till the Turkish conquest of Čazma, in the middle of the 16th century, the Zagrebian bishops had their residence there. Then, the deans of Čazma moved to Zagreb, where they became assistants of Zagrebian deans, and their arcihive was moved to Zelina where it stayed till the year 1601. The deans of Čazma did not return to their primary residence, not even, after the liberation of Čazma, instead they gained in replacement a paulist monastery and a property Lepoglava, and in 1811. houses in Varaždin. That's how the Chapter of Čazma –Varaždin emerged, whose name come from more recent period. Like the Chapter of Zagreb, the Chapter of Čazma also performed the service of a credible place, and exactly this archival entirety is the best preserved
Archives of Prebendar’s assembly of Zagreb
The Prebendary's assembly of Zagrebian cathedral consists
of priests who are helping the zagrebian deans in performance of liturgy
in zagrebian cathedral. It is established by the bishop Timotej (1264
– 1287). In 1466. the prebendary's assembly, with a permission from the
Chapter (Kaptol), formed its statutes, which testify of the assembly itself
and the relations within it, and the ecclestiastical service of prebendarys.
The Metropolitan Library
The beginnings of Metropolitan library are reaching into
the 11th century, to the time when Zagreb is becomnig a bishop town (1093/1094).
In the time of the first zagrebian bishop Duh, the first liturgy books
were also obtained.
This little group of liturgy codexes is a foundation of today's Library. The oldest inventory of the Zagrebian cathedral's treasury from 1349. testifies about the Metropolitan as a library , there are 111 registered manuscripts in an index of books, and 2 in an indeks of other liturgy subjects inside the trasury. Acording to the inventory, the grounds of the library were juridical, biblical, liturgical, filosophical and theological books. From codexes it's worth to mention the Biblia sollemnis, Liber sententiarum, Passionale and Benedictionale. During the time, Ivan Alben (1421 – 1433) perform function as a bishop a new inventory was made , the last one that brings such an indeks of books. Therefore it's very hard to keep track of the condition in Library during over the next 250 years.
The Metropolitan library reaches the true renesance in the time of bishop
A. I. Mikulić (1688 – 1694), who builded the Library in 1692. and had
all the books from the cathedral transfered in it. He established a foundation
for it's work and bought of a very valuable book collection of known slovenian
polyhistor J.W. Valvasor (1641 – 1693).